View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hope2bhappy

I was scared to death. I had never known him without alcohol in his life. I had no idea what to expect. I had knots in my stomach and was sick with worry of the unknown. Inside, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'd never known him sober, so I guess I was just expecting that rehab wouldn't "take." Well, it's been almost a year.

It took me about a month to settle into this "new" way of life and lose those knots in my stomach.

If I'm giving advice, I would say that his recovery is ALL about him. That's the way it has to be - don't take it personally. Don't ask him questions. Don't mind his business. Just let him do it. If you don't already have one, get a life for yourself. Involve yourself in things that you can do without him. You are still sharing your life with him, but independently. You will come through this a more empowered woman. And hardest of all... resist the temptation to engage him in discussions about the future of your relationship. Sobriety is priority. The rest will happen when you are both stronger.

Finally, thank God everyday for sending him (and you) this miracle of sobriety. I'm really happy for both of you.