Thread: Panic attacks?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rowan

Hi Tanya,

I've been off benzos for 4 years now. I started taking them as prescribed when I was still drinking, but became addicted to them in sobriety. Withdrawal was absolutely brutal. I think that you are pretty intuitive, Tanya, and see that you were anxious about being home alone for the first time since getting clean. I understand that it might make you feel needy, or dependent, but who better than your husband to lean on? You asked for help, and were validated. I think that's wonderful

I haven't experienced true panic attacks in sobriety, but I certainly have been aware of changes in body sensation i.e. racing heart, tightness in chest, raised temperature, but they haven't been as troublesome as what you describe.

I'm glad you are seeing your pdoc today. Maybe this would be a good time to start looking at natural ways to soothe yourself i.e. meditation, massage, breathing techniques, prayer? I've got a great book at home that I haven't looked at in a long time. I'll take a peek and see if there are some suggestions that might be helpful.

I think you're doing great, Tan, and it's good to see you taking care of yourself.

Love, Ro