Thread: anger
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
prodigal

I deal with my anger when it crops up by asking myself what it is that is making ME angry. Is it that I can't get the A in my life to shape up and follow my plan for getting sober? Is it that I'm angry at myself for making a poor decision to marry an A? Is it about control issues? Is it about my not getting off my backside and doing something for me rather than watching my A stagger around like a zombie?

I can only answer what triggers my anger and how I've learned to "stick a sock in it." No, I don't implode or explode, I start examining just what it is that is hitting my own personal "buttons." Working out at the gym for an hour releases a lot of pent-up frustration for me and makes me feel relaxed and healthy. Just my way of coping ....

So if you're getting angry at watching him drink, do you have alternatives? Can you go visit family or friends? I practically lived in a bookstore for months when AH was going on mega-benders. After all, who wants to sit around watching a drunk be a drunk? Certainly not me.

Venting can help to a degree, but I believe self-awareness of the why's behind our anger can be helpful.