View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
shutterbug
A picture's worth a 1000 words

my suggestion would be to print out this page and take it with you to your appointment on the 28th and simply hand it to the pdoc.

Then....start educating yourself on your specific kind of bipolar disorder as much as possible and be sure you are seeing a pdoc who respects you enough to really listen and who you can respect to know more than even you do about your type of bipolar diagnosis and how best to treat it.

I say the last paragraph because your subject line says "Bipolar II...." and from what I know about bipolar II, Lithium is not the best mood stabalizer...and also...there's not really so much of a fear of anti-depressants pushing a bipolar II persion into mania as really that's more for a bipolar I person.

I'm bipolar II and have been on HIGH doses of anti-d's for years now with no issues of mania. I have cycles of hypomania, but never full-blown mania. Now, another hand...i've recently come across research that shows if 100 bipolar II are signed up for a study where half are treated with mood stabalizer/anti-depressant combos and the other half are treated with mood stabalizers alone.....neither half showed ANY more depression symptoms than the other half.

If you are sleeping 18+ hours a day then you are in crisis.
I say that because when I get to a point of sleeping that much that's when i KNOW I am in the middle of a major depressive episode and is the EXACT reason why i sought out ECT treatment this time around and recently underwent my first ever series of treatments. I've had 5 to date and my ECT doc is on holiday for another week or so before i'll under go any more.

Why ECT?
It has a 90 percent success rate for treating depression!!!!
The general public just isn't aware of that yet!