View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
myles1

powerless and overwhelmed

Hi Everyone,

Well here goes, my S.O is a recovering heroin addict. A guy who he was involved with was sentenced to life in prison this week. Anyway S.O is not dealing well with this for some reason, I'm not sure what. I have a feeling that he may not have told me all the details of his involvement with this person but he's shut down right now so there really isn't much point in trying to talk to him about it. I did tell him this morning that if he didn't tell me some stuff he may want to tell me now so I know what's up.

I'm the co-dependant fixer who is no longer fixing but I haven't learnt any behaviours to replace this yet . Also with him being so distant and barely communicating with me right now it's like walking on eggshells. I feel the only thing I can do is offer to be there to listen if he wants to unload it but that's about it. I don't feel there is much more I can do.

Actually I was thinking of staying at my place for a couple of days with my son and giving the S.O some space to work things through and I guess this is my question to you guys. I mean I feel guilty for feeling this way but at the same time it's not that pleasant being around someone who is barely speaking. I have the worry also of him relapsing over it but again I feel pretty powerless if he decides to that. Me hanging all over him certainly won't help him.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ngaire