Thread: Dead Flowers
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nolonger

Originally Posted by Dr. Snow View Post
Anyway, rather than getting ****-faced, I'm learning to find other ways to cope with stress and misery. Instead of reaching for alcohol, I've been reaching for hot cocoa. And I've recently discovered the soothing effect of slightly melted peanut butter. I turn the bright lights off, and sometimes, I don't take phone calls--they can leave a message and I will get back to them later. With quite a bit of difficulty, I've been trying to limit the amount of time I spend on the computer because it creates a lot of stress for me. Also, I have to be very careful about what music I listen to. Without a doubt, I've had my strongest urges to drink when I hear certain songs--all the ones I used to listen to while I was drinking! Too many to count...
Its a habit as well as an addiction. As soon as I put the booze down my throat, its an addiction. But a lot of making sure I don't do that is breaking old bad habits, breaking them hard and making sure they stay broke.

I'm sure that's why AA people suggest the 90/90 thing: smash up your old habits and find some new ones to put in their place. (Though a lot of other things too.)

Music is tough, isn't it? I was at the gym and I listened to the Pogues, for the first time in a long time. Good music for ke the bike, but it's maybe not the best for alcoholics...;o)

I googled about the blind, and found this poem.

"A blind man. I can stare at him
ashamed, shameless. Or does he know it?
No, he is in a great solitude.
O, strange joy,
to gaze my fill at a stranger’s face.
No, my thirst is greater than before."

Denise Levertov