View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Yes, alcoholism is a disease but it does involve choice in that no one pours that alcohol down their throats.
Barbara
This is so very true. I guess the sneaky way that this disease works is what is so puzzling. Why can one person drink occasionally and know when to stop and another needs more and more and more and more to just feel "normal". How does one know that they are headed toward dependency?

I'm doing fairly well at understanding my role as a co-dependent but I still don't think I understand the how's and why's of this disease very well. My son attended Lakeside Milam Recovery Center (yes...that Milam) and they did a fabulous job of explaining the metabolic differences between an alcoholic and person who can imbibe responsibly without heading down that slippery slope. But it is still a bit baffling....I don't want to get into the thought process that everyone who drinks around me is headed toward doom.

Slightly off topic but I'm just thinking this morning.....and boy....that can be dangerous!
hugs
ke