Thread: isolating rut
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GiveLove

Hi Growing,

When I was exactly where you are, a while back, I personally found the nearest recreation center (public, as opposed to more expensive "athletic club" which I couldn't afford) and looked through their spring catalog. They had neat little short-term classes in things like rock climbing, outdoor aerobics (!), racquetball, pilates, vortexercise (in a vortex loop in a pool) and other stuff I'd never explored. Scared to death, isolated for years, I held my breath, picked one and signed up online.

And who did I meet in that class? (I believe it was tai chi at that point) A bunch of other women my age who had ALSO been isolating themselves. Oh, a few extroverts too, but mostly people who looked every bit as nervous as I did!!! It was hilarious.

I also walk, a lot. Sometimes, on meetup.com, you can find groups that get together to hike, take Sunday morning walks, take their dogs to play together, go to galleries and plays, etc. If there isn't a group, perhaps you could start one! In the Sunday paper there are sometimes listings of volunteer activities that sound fun to me: cleaning up a certain park or trail, planting trees, behind the scenes at the science museum, etc. A lot of public libraries will have information on physically active events coming up (ask). Stores that sell running shoes or athletic gear will often have brochures or information on groups that revolve around one kind of physical endeavor or another...

Mostly, just explore anything that keeps your feet and body moving and gets you out in contact with other people struggling to do the same. It doesn't have to be "exercise" even...as long as it gets you out in the air and moving. The only prerequisites are a) you must find it FUN, and b) did I mention you must find it fun????

That's how this ACoA stays active, anyway. Always a struggle, but it's something that makes the rest of life so much easier. I'm still slightly bulkier than I'd like, but my heart is stronger, my head clearer, and I'm finally meeting people I like and respect, because they too are trying.

Good luck, Growing!!!

GL