Thread: Update on Tammy
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
scaredykat

Hi Guys, well here's the scoop.

Friday night i found out from the Vet that Tammy definitely has diabetes. A normal cats blood sugar is 150 and Tammy's is 700. I was so upset and cried my eyes out. I thought we were going to put her down. I went to my meeting that night and told my sponsor about it. Luckily i see her every Friday. She was telling me about "living life on life's terms". That night we went home and i was still freaking out because i wanted to wait until after Christmas to put her down, but the vet said she would be suffering if i didn't do something now. So i knew I had to do something after the weekend was over.

On Saturday I went to my home group meeting and ironically the topic was
"living life on life's terms". Isn't that weird?!! I think my HP is trying to tell me something. Well after the meeting I was so calm after hearing other peoples problems, that it made mine with a kitty seem like nothing.

So after the meeting i was able to think rationally about Tammy and her diabetes and i thought about all the people i talked with that have experience with this and their kitties. My husband called his mom and talked with her about her experience with this. She has a cat with diabetes. So we decided to give it a try. I'm willing to overcome my fear of needles to help Tammy. She still has a lot of life in her. This weekend she acted so much like her old self. That gave me a sign to go for this too.

She's at the vet's now and comes home tomorrow. Their doing her blood sugar tests and giving her insulin. So tomorrow we will learn how to do this. I'm a little nervous about this and sometimes doubt creeps up. I just want what's best for Tammy.

Thanks for being here everyone. It helps so much talking about it.

Barb