Old 12-18-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
nodrinkingzone
Fighting the good fight

Good luck Paul, glad you got through it all ok. I would probably just add what a few other people have, I've been drinking since I was 13 and I'm 31 now, and if I'd stopped when I was 22 my life would probably be a whole lot better than it is at the moment. And I've been able to work (only lost a couple of jobs), avoid jail/fights, and study - I just keep getting hurt, blacking out, ruining my relationships with people and losing friends because I get too hammered to operate.

Not saying if I had my time again I'd do it any differently, but given the choice - I reckon I could be a lot further along in life and a lot happier if I'd chosen sobriety 10 years ago.

I've accepted that I can't just have one drink, or I'll drink whatever I can get my hands on, so I have chosen to not drink at all.

You may feel that you can have 2 drinks every couple of nights, but I reckon it doesn't take much until you're happily drinking four or five, and then when you start to really enjoy getting your buzz on - that's when the same behaviour that landed you in the slammer's going to come out again, in my opinion.

At any rate, good luck and enjoy yourself, whatever path you choose. If you're not enjoying it, decide if you want to choose another I reckon. And this coming from a dude who's done 3 days sober... lolololol