View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
mike_mass
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I know we don't need any more negativity, but this worries me, so thought I'd get your views. I just read about a book called "Phoenix in a Bottle", written by an alcoholic couple, Lillian & Murdoch MacDonald. (They have challeneged AA to a debate on this subject.) They maintain that Alcoholism is not a progressive or incurable disease, but a response to a dysfunctional childhood. We are not addicted to alcohol, but to the escape we find when drinking. If we get to the underlying problem of why we need that escape, we'll be cured of our drinking problems! The reason I'm concerned is, they are trying to convince us that once we find out what's causing us to self-medicate, we can then go on to be social drinkers - as they have done. I know we've said many times on here, whatever works for you is what matters, but how much damage will this "revelation" do?
I would wait a few years to see how they turn out (remember the founder of Moderation Management?). Anyway, have you seen a picture of those two? They don't look too like they should be drimking.