View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
slash

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
Whenever anyone, anywhere reaches out for help, I want the hand of AA always to be there--and, for that I am responsible.

I'm responsible to help those who want help...the dimwits who wrote this dangerous book obviously don't want my help or any part of AA. Protest all they might, I personally think they're dissatisfied alcoholics who are still looking for a way to drink "responsibly"...misery loves company, and they're determined to convince others to take this road to active alcoholism with them.

When I referred to "taking care", I certainly didn't mean "enabling", which would, of course, be a disservice...and not helpful to him/her or myself. I think I know the difference.

The last line of your post sounds as if you took offense to my post. If that is so, I apologize. Your earlier post said "take care". This post says "help" These are 2 entirely different concepts so I don't think I was out of line in my misunderstanding. I was simply stating my opinion, not trying to de-value anyone elses. I am certainly not suggesting that you don't know the difference between helping and enabling. I still prefer to help one to be better able to take care of oneself as opposed to taking care.

Perhaps the folks who wrote this book are enjoying great success in this approach - Of course, it is my belief that IF that is the case, they were never alcoholic at all...but maybe they truly believe that they are. Maybe they believe they found something that works for them and are trying to share that with others just as those who find success in whatever program of recovery he/she has chosen does the same. Maybe I just prefer to look for the best in people but if we are going to make assumptions about people and their intentions, why not focus on positive rather than negative....