View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by slash View Post
I have mixed feelings...I agree that one shouldn't allow this to upset him/her. However, I also feel that it is the "take care of each other" concept that leads us to be upset. After all, if I am not concerned with the recovery programs/concepts of others, I won't be upset by them. Don't get me wrong - I believe whole heartedly that I should be there for others (addict or not) and I enjoy doing so. But being there as support and to offer my experience is not synonymous with care taking. In fact, if we are "taking care" of another addict, we are doing him/her a disservice IMO
Whenever anyone, anywhere reaches out for help, I want the hand of AA always to be there--and, for that I am responsible.

I'm responsible to help those who want help...the dimwits who wrote this dangerous book obviously don't want my help or any part of AA. Protest all they might, I personally think they're dissatisfied alcoholics who are still looking for a way to drink "responsibly"...misery loves company, and they're determined to convince others to take this road to active alcoholism with them.

When I referred to "taking care", I certainly didn't mean "enabling", which would, of course, be a disservice...and not helpful to him/her or myself. I think I know the difference.