View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I, too, would question the length of their experiment in social drinking and I would also question the definition of alcoholism. Heavy drinkers may or may not be alcoholic, may or may not be able to learn to moderate. We know who we are.

The fact that they're proposing this as a solution for alcoholics assumes (according to the above description) that all alcoholics had unhappy childhoods. Sure, I had what would be considered by most an extremely traumatic childhood, but I know that's not the reason I'm alcoholic. It may have brought my alcoholism to the forefront a little sooner, but it's not the reason. I also know lots of alcoholics who describe their childhoods as ideal. My husband is one. No one beat him, deprived him, oppressed him, pushed him to achieve. His life was normal in every way until he began to drink.

What drives people to propose solutions such as this? My best guess: financial gain and extreme ego. I know my method of recovery works for me, but I wouldn't dream of suggesting it's the only way for everyone. Just like the James Frey book of a few years ago, lies and glittering generalizations kill people. I hope that they can afford a very comfortable bed from the proceeds of their book so that they can sleep at night.

Peace & Love,
Sugah