Thread: Today's step
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Day 3

[QUOTE]Taking it on Faith

"Faith is to believe what you do not see. The reward for this faith is to see what you believe." St. Augustine

We may not be completely filled with enthusiasm when we discover that we're expected to embrace a doctrine formulated by a group of people--none of them professionals---who don't offer us what we consider to be sufficient statistical research to justify their theories.

On the other hand, most of us do subscribe to the operating theory: "If something works, don't fix it."

A.A., the grandaddy of all these self-help groups, has proven without the shadow of a doubt that "it works." And, in fact, when their Big Book was written, there were a number of nonalcoholic professionals who acted as coauthors and consultants, and who affirmed that when all their combined efforts and expertise had failed, this self-help group--founded by a stockbroker and a medical doctor---suceeded.

The story is told of an athiest explaining to his listeners why he didn't believe in God. "I was up in Alaska, flying my plane. Suddenly, the motor failed, and I was forced to land on a desolate expanse of snow. I got down on my knees and asked God for help. Do you think He did anything to help me? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
"Then how come," one of his listeners asked, "you'er here today?"
"Oh," said the man, "a couple of hours later and Eskimo came along on a dogsled and brought me out!"

Todays Step: I'm beginning to believe that the power of the program really does work.Step By Step, meditations for living the 12 steps. Muriel Zink