View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Just a thought about the charge-offs. I have several from credit cards and I thought once they were charged off, I didn't have to worry about them. Turns out, a collection agency sued me (when I was still in active addiction) and won. I found out when the police showed up at my door with papers ordering me to respond (NOT a good feeling when you've been on the wrong side of the law).

I was able to make a payment plan with them, but still had to get a lawyer to know how to respond to the court (I used prepaid legal...about $30/month). This is probably due to the fact that this one debt was $4000. When another charge-off was sent to a collection agency, I went ahead and made a payment plan with them, too, because I was afraid they would sue me too. The lawyer handling it told me "just because it's charged off, does not mean you're not still responsible for the debt" - I honestly thought it did.

I hope you can get things worked out. I'll be paying off stuff 'til I'm 90....maybe then I can afford a decent nursing home

Hugs and prayers!

Amy