View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nytepassion
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

However, after talking to one of my friends she made the comment that its ok to do drugs if you are a "functioning addict"..... any thoughts???

Functional or not HE IS STILL AN ADDICT

Addiction is progressive

It is all about T I M E

In time even the most functional addict can be brought down my addiction

I'm sure that there are many addicts that can say @ some point they were "functional addicts", but with time and use they became
D Y S F U N C T I O N A L

Drug addiction has only one direction

D
O
W
N
W
A
R
D
sometimes 6 ft under

You don't have to be a strung out dysfunctional drug addict to die a drug related death. EVEN FUNCTIONAL ADDICTS CAN DIE DRUG DEATHS.

I wonder if your friend "Lets call her Ms. Informed" would be as willing to sign his death certificate as she is to cosign his addiction...

The man is shooting up (that is intense) I mean seriously even drug addicts know that when you are sticking needles in your veins to get high YOU'VE CROSSED SOME SERIOUS BOUNDARIES (I speak from experience) If he once was a snorter, smoker or pill popper and now he shoots HE IS SLOWLY, BUT SURELY IN THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL .. descending downward .. further and further into the pit of addiction madness.

There are things to consider like I said above .. did he once smoke, snort, pop these oxys? How many did it use to take for him to get high? Has he had to increase the amounts to reach a satisfying rush? Has his drug of choice changed over the years? How long has he been using? If I had to guess I'd say yes to the questions above and I'd say he's been using for years.

Its all apart of the downward spiral of addiction ....

Hard cold reality = What goes up, must come down....

I'm glad you found your way to SR ... I'm sorry if my reply sounds mean, harsh, cold or cruel .. it isn't intended to hurt you .. and I know it is not what you want to hear ... but it is real and true= The truth and YOU need to know it.

I spent many years in active addiction ... I had many friends who were addicted many of us were at one time "functioning addicts* who were on the downward spiral and didn't even know it ... ended up dysfunctional (didn't even realize that was what it was) just thought we were getting high, partying .. just doin' what we do. Many of us so blind and oblivious we didn't get out in time and lives were lost to senseless deaths ..

He's on the train ... and its headed for destruction ... He can't continue using and function forever ... That I promise you.

I hope you will stick around here ... knowledge is power ... learn all you can about his drug of choice .. about addiction, enabling, codependency, detachment with love .... for this is recommended priceless information for anyone who journeys life loving an addict.

Passion