View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
but that he could, as was wonderfully stated on another thread, "Put my hand in God's hands."
Our primary purpose is to stay sober: Can't be an example of sobriety if I'm not staying sober!!

And help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety: I believe showing someone how to put one's hand in the hand of God would fall under that catagory, which again, can't be done if one is drunk.

That old saying comes to mind. It's ok to ask God for help to grow the crops, but I'd better be ready to pick up a hoe. I can ask God all day to keep me sober but if I don't stay away from that first drink by going to meetings, getting a sponsor, and working the steps, I will eventually let go of God's hand.

We can discuss this more, however I have a suggestion. Let's talk about what comes first, the chicken or the egg.

"My primary spiritual aim is lead an alcoholic to God. If I stick to my primary spiritual aim, staying sober isn't an issue."

The above statement says what the preamble says. I have to stay sober in order to carry the message to another drunk.