View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Two or three beers a week...

Hi SofterLouder,

I am sure you know the saying, "It doesn't matter how often you drink, how much you drink, or where you drink, or who you drink with or how much money you spend...it matters how alcohol affects you and your life.

No amount of analyzing all of this is going to make a difference if you should or shouldn't drink.

I drank a six pack of beer everynight for four years plus vodka and hard liquor on the weekends. My beer was ale which was some stronger than regular beer. I got drunk every night, ate, went to bed, and then up to work and started the process all over again the next day.

I did not want to drink but by now I had to drink by a certain time each day or I would start into withdrawals. My misconception of alcoholics and drug users was completly flawed.

I got help finally and went to AA, to in-patient treatment for 30days, went to an alcoholic woman's group at the alcohol center, went to counseling for my depression and followed through with what was expected in the first year. I also got a Sponsor who helped guide me through the steps and how to live a sober life.

The second year I was sober I went back to college for a BA Degree in Psychology and worked half time and attended three AA Meetings a week.

I wanted sobriety more than anything else in my life and was determined to do it.

After two years of college, I graduated and got a job with the county Mental Health Center. I worked my way up from a Mental Health Tech. to a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor. I started my new career at 50 years old.

So all things entered in with me. I was allergic to acohol and had a bright red face
that took 9 months to get rid of...!

Now all changes did not come overnight. How long did it take us to get where we got to with our drinking? A long time...I even smelled of alcohol when I went to work so my co-workers realy believed that I drank before I went to work. I never did this one time.

So I must quit my soap box tonight...am tired and have to figure out what to cook for supper.