View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Waxwing

Lightbulb Have you tried the Wayback Machine?

Dear SR Mods and Techs:

Have you tried one of the Web Archives such as the "Wayback Machine"?

Damn, my <15 post status won't allow a link and any text that looks like a link is rejected... :nono: so you'll have to piece the below together into the hopefully-obvious URL:

www DOT
archive DOT org
backslash
web
backslash
web.php

...or just google "Wayback Machine"

These crawler archives collect and display cached versions of huge hunks of the web across time. You may have to spend a few minutes learning advanced search options so that you can find any missing sections of the SR site, but once you do, you might be able to see pretty much what the Forum(s) looked like on particular dates in the past.

For example, I just did a quick Wayback search for the url of this friends-family-alcoholics" Forum and the last version of the archived board was on Aug 16 2007 ... and the sticky section looked pretty intact to me although I'm no Sticky section expert: I found 5 major Sticky threads with many posts and sublinks within each, and all I tried were apparently intact.

Often, cached versions of sites with many pages (!) will be incomplete -- usually because their crawler didn't cache all the posts associated with the same particular date. In that case, exploring other options under "Advanced Search" or "Compare Archived Pages" can help you piece it together one way or another.

The Wayback Machine has helped me reconstruct many a crashed site over the years (it also serves as concrete verification of the cliche that "Nothing on the Web ever really goes away").

Hope it helps!