Thread: So confused
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SIDMOM
Paused

HI;
My A, and soon to be X-husband sounds very much like your A. He was a kind loving person. He had an Outside Sales job which required him to take customers out and of course drink (his 3rd DUI which landed him in jail, he crashed his company car into a pole). I knew I couldn't live with the fear of everytime he goes out with his customers whether he would crash, or get a DUI, or g-d only knows! All trust was breeched by his lying that he hadn't drank (I actually thought I was crazy for smelling it until of course I found a bottle, or receipt, or caught him in the act). There was no trust left for me. It was a rollercoaster. My A always drank alot but I wasn't familiar with the disease and didn't recognize signs of alcoholism. Once he "went off the deep end", we were married and had a home/mortgage (fortunately no children). Do you want this for your life? You need to make decisions for YOUR well being. I know it's easier said than done but I'm speaking from someone who lost their soul-mate/husband, and their home in the process. I made the healthy decision to save myself.
Yes, sometimes I have regrets, I went to see him in jail and he wasn't the same person. And quite clearly not in recovery. And that validated my decision to get out. Now I can move forward again.
It sounds like you've given him alot of chances. He needs to make the decision for recovery himself - you have no control over that, nor did you cause him to drink. An alcoholic will look for any excuse.