View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Pinkcuda

I was going to post something out of "As Bill sees It" here, but my wife cleaned the house and I can't find anything.
Bill warns us somewhere around page 306 of trying to fix everything at once. This being unrealistic can only lead to disillusionment in sobriety. My expectations of sobriety were too high and it just wasn't happening the way I wanted it. Therefore it was a constant struggle. I had visions of a perfect life where things happened just like they do on TV. I was even expecting a cartoon Bluebird to come land on my shoulder from time to time. It just didn't happen the way I wanted it to. Things were a mess and they got worse than they ever did when I was drinking. I just didn't know how to handle life as a sober person. I've never done that before. God only knows what kept me going and kept me from drinking again. I wasn't seeing the results I expected and thought I deserved. What a crock of sh*t this sobriety is, I was happier when I was drinking.
Anyways, I hung in there and stayed on the wagon like I promised and things eventually got better. It sure took it's dear sweet time getting here, but it did. It was so slow that I didn't notice any changes in myself or my life. I do when I look back at the mess I was in and see the difference now. Things still aren't perfect by a long shot. The Ghosts of my past are still being resurrected from time to time and they probably will for years to come. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum since I'm out doing amends. I'm trying to get them before they get me. But they are still there.
Be patient. It will not come quickly. Do not be discouraged at a lack of progress, or at least a perceived lack of progress. Things are happening. You just don't see it right now. Your vision is a little blurred.
BTW, my POS Truck just turned a quarter million miles, but it gets me to my sucky job and back.