View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

Musiclover;

First, welcome to SR!!!
It's a pleasure to get to know you a bit and to have you post such a complete thread, opening up so much. I think it shows how much you are searching for your path to self fullfillment.

It sounds like many things are going very good in your life. Look at how much you have to be grateful for! A great job you love. The end of a bad relationship, meaning the opening up of a new possibility for new ones. Property; an investment in your future! And a focus in your life. That's fantastic!!! :wow:
Have you considered a gratitude journal? Studies show that people who write in a gratitude journal have a happier and more optimistic view of life. That alone might help with some of the depression you are dealing with. There's a forum right here on SR where you can join in on one of the existing threads, or start your own. It's located here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/

The other things that help me deal with my own issues of depression and anxiety are these:
Physical, mental, emotional and spiritual activities each day. Do something each day in each of these categories to help yourself feel better. I need to take care of myself by eating right and exercising; learning new things, reading, meditating, relaxing, positive reinforcement of myself, progressive relaxation, sleep hygene, prayer, Torah study, whatever it is that I need at the time.

I know when I'm in a bad way, it's diffficult to do all four of these things. So, I force myself to do at least some of them. For example, every night, before bed, I have a cup of tea and some down time prior to bed, in order that I can get some decent sleep. It doesn't always work, but, I up the odds by taking those steps.

I hope these things are helpful to you. And I look forward to getting to know you more as we both grow in our recovery.

Shalom!