View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aysha
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by f911 View Post
I was initially having a very difficult time dealing w/your post. My husband and I came from lower middle class, given nothing but lots of love and advice, faced our own consequences and eventually struggled our way into the "upper class". (My DOC was alcohol and I have been successfully treated w/antidepressents and therapy--NOT AA!).

We've had many problems along the way (usually financial, some children related) and would have longed for a little help but never expected it (mainly because it wasn't there).

After feeling somewhat disgusted by your post, I have come to realize you were unfortunately brought up in a very bad situation.--could have easily been me in the same place. I feel for you and hope you can find your way out of this mess at your age.

You may have to start from the very beginning--ie.formal education. If you have no money available, money is there for you by the government. It's going to be a long struggle but you will begin to gain some confidence and self-esteem if you choose a goal (begin w/short term goals) and gradually move-up from there.

I truely wish you the best of luck and am sorry for the situation that you now find yourself in. Take one small step at a time and you may find yourself to have great potential that you never realized before.

jane
I appreciate your post. And I hope I did not take this wrong. And if so I really do apologise.
But My family came from the gutter. Not until my grams married her 3rd husband did she finally have the financial security we had. I was 5 then. The rest of my family also worked their asses off to get where they are.
I am not sure what you meant about formal education. But I held very high grades in school. Was accepted to various colleges but never went past the entrance exam because I was too busy being..Well an addict.
I am sorry you had a hard time with my post.
Really my whole point to this was that life was made too easy for me for a very long time.
I was loved very much by everyone in my family and given numerous opportunities to further my education and be something. I had alot of advice and guidance. It was my choice to be a slacker and just hang out and be an addict thinking And kinda knowing I always had my grams to fall back on. I have always had a job since I was 14 years old. I am not ignorant and am very capable of doing what I have to do.
My problem is I struggle because I was never made to.
When I say I wasnt given the skills to be independant. I meant I was never made to.
I just wanted to clear that up.
My upbringing was a life saver. My father was an alcoholic and my mother has been missing since I was 5. So if not for my grams. I would be who knows where.