Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
best
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
Did it work for anyone in getting their S/O to get serious about quitting alcohol?

Can't force us to stop. Can't force us to do anything we don't want to do.

I was separated for just over two years. My being separated had nothing to do with me finding a quality recovery. She was getting sick and tired of my behavior but refused to make my choices for me. She would not kick me out... that would be to easy for me...her making my choices and in my mind I could blame her (just like I did everything else) When I became sick and tired of her inactions (because she used good recovery) I moved out in a huff.

What worked the best... She worried about her own behaviors and left me to do as I please. Work "your" recovery and set "your" boundaries. If you feel you need separate as one of your boundaries... that is the reason for doing so. Doing so will not change her mind unless her mind is at the point of wanting to accept change.
What changed me... My choices and the consequences of my choices started to pile up. Some things you just can't blame others for no matter how hard you try.
Consequences of my own actions and being left to deal with them myself (my wife working a sound recovery) are what started me seeing a need for change.

Consequences when there is no one else to blame start to feel like this...
Let her deal with her own issues and let consequences do the