Thread: A's leaving us?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ARealLady

Eat...there are posters here who were left by their recovering A partners and, as hurtful as that is, if you read Melody Beattie's book, Beyond Co-dependency, she explains that until As have been soberly working a 12 step programme for at least a year, they are NOT suitable relationship material.

I think, from some of the comments XABF made to me ("oh,you'll find someone better/why would you want to be with someone like me?" as examples that spring to mind), there is a level at which As know they don't make good partners especially if the non-A partner refuses to engage in their drinking binges. I'm sure the A does SEE that the relationship is not fairly balanced and that it is all about the A making sure he/she gets his drinking started each day.

Eat...rejection is always painful but please try to see that your ABF, functioning or not, had done you a HUGE favour. When I met XABF, he was white knuckling it....not drinking but not working a programme. He claimed he had been a "functional A" prior to that. Well, hearing about it from others, he had hit some pretty low points even before I came along. Then he started drinking again with me and I watched him spiral down so low that I knew I had to get out. You don't want to see post-functional A.

So what are you doing for YOU now?

ARL