Thread: The past
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Juls

Amy,

I don't see why you would expect yourself to objective and non-judgmental about growing up in an alcoholic family. It is understandable to me that you would have a hard time identifying your feelings about that. Growing up that way is a big deal, no matter if the parent/s are functioning or not. My mother was a functioning alcoholic in that she went to work every day, took care of us, in that we were clothed and fed, etc. But the rest was a nightmare.

How can a person learn to have worth and self-esteem when they are treated poorly by their primary caretakers. Sometimes it is very hard for us to feel anger at our parents for things they have done that have hurt us. It's hard for me to feel that way about my mother.

If I were to be asked how I felt growing up in an alcoholic family, I wouldn't be able to do it in one concise sentence. There are so many years of memories, feelings involved I wouldn't know where to begin.

Understanding how you feel about this can take some time. It is a process. I'm sure you know that journaling can be helpful in this. Just let whatever feelings, impressions come and don't worry abuout how they may seem to someone else. These are your feelings and you have a right to them.

Juls