Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bval

Welcome, walkera. You've come to the right place. Keep posting, you'll find many others that have been right where you are and can help you get through this tough time. Calling AA and getting a meeting schedule is an excellent idea. Find one and go to it. Don't be scared. Attending a meeting doesn't make anything 'real' - either it already IS real, or it AIN'T. Look at it that way. Nor does attending make you a 'member', or an 'alcoholic'. Only you can decide whether you are either of those things, and they'll likely take a number of meetings (and reading and talking to people) to figure out.

But bottom line, a meeting is far less scary than a lifetime of active alcoholism - that's why everyone's THERE, remember that. Once you knock out your first meeting, believe me, you're going to walk out laughing about having been scared about going. It's a very chill place, and you don't even have to say a word, and nobody will likely even address you if you don't speak up and make yourself known. If I were you, I'd look for either a newcomers meeting, or a meeting with a speaker, and I WOULD make myself known as a newcomer - but you certainly don't have to.

You'll find there are almost no rules other than basic politeness, and it doesn't take long to figure out the format and figure out how to 'act' in meetings - just do a lot of listening. You'll find LOTS of people there who want nothing more than to help you, not judge you, so really, no cause for fear. It'll likely end up feeling like finally coming 'home' after years in the wilderness. I know it did for many of us here

The type of meeting will be denoted on the schedule they'll fax or mail you when you call the hotline. Or you can just check online in many areas, most meetings are posted if you poke around the AA site.

Make sure to touch base and let us know how it went