Thread: Dr. Phill
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 11:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
margo

Incognito et al - I'd like to reiterate something that has been said already, but which seems to be getting lost in the debate and I hope this will help to clear up the confusion around the term "hitting bottom." What Chy experienced, and the point that she stopped, was the bottom for her. It happened very similarly for me. I saw where I was going - I was having heart and other health problems, I was in terrible debt and my credit was ruined, I'd been in the hospital for overdoses, I'd put myself in terribly dangerous situations in parts of town that I normally wouldn't go into during daylight hours, I had such self-loathing I couldn't stand being in my own skin, etc, etc, ad nauseum. That was the bottom for me - the point that I stopped. Some people have sought help before the point that I did, and some still continue on to even lower lows. I think the confusion here stems from the fact that there is a belief that an addict has to be either dead or very close to it, and/or to have lost everything that is precious to them in order to work their way back to the light and that's just not the case. The bottom for me was when I came out of denial, admitted I was an addict, and sought help for my addiction. It's the same for all others. How far down we each go varies from individual to individual - what the bottom is for one is not the same for another, but what we all have in common is that the bottom is the point where we stop.

Hope this helps!