Thread: Lost
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

I haven't hit bottom YET but that's the thing, that one word "YET"....I don't plan on hitting bottom, because I'm done drinking.
Everyone's "bottom" is different, CW...and, it doesn't have to be any dramatic, earthshaking, epiphany, but wherever you, yourself decide to get off the merry-go-round and out of the rat race. It's as simple as embracing the first step of AA, "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable." You seem to have already done that, whether you realize it or not.

I drank for 32 years and tried to quit several times. I knew how to stop, but it never lasted more than a week or two. It wasn't until I went to a medical detox (they're usually five days) that I found the help I needed...and, then AA taught me how to stay stopped. That was almost 28 years ago, and a course of action I would highly recommend.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Just an afterthought with regard to "tapering off". As long as you keep ingesting the alcohol, you continue feeding the physical compulsion. The only way to quit is to quit, preferrably with some medical help.