Thread: Lost
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ChillMike

Originally Posted by GrouchoTheCat View Post
Hi Mike,

First of all Medicines called benzodiazepines are used by doctors to lessen the severity of alcohol withdrawal. This is because they act on the brain in a way almost identical to booze. They are only used for a very short time though, usually 3 to 5 days. This is so you don't get addicted to them and withdrawal from benzos makes alcohol detox seem like a walk in the park.

Having said that, combining a benzo with booze is very dangerous and sometimes fatal.

Valium is a benzo. I can't imagine the doctor giving them to you if he knew you were still drinking.

You are on very dangerous ground medically and though you may not realize it, your life is at stake here.

I recommend you take a week from work and go to a detox. Pretty much everyone who has tried it (and we all have) will tell you that tapering off just doesn't work. Once we have one or two, our judgment is shot to hell and the body just wants more.

I highly recommend the book "Beyond the Influence". It explains all this medical stuff really well.

Sorry to be harsh here but I see a train wreck ahead.
Oh God no, I'm not mixing Valium and alcohol. I spent a day in the hospital a few weeks ago. She prescribed them, I didn't even fill the prescription for about another week. I took 2 or 3 days off of drinking and then "fell off" again. Only today have I taken a Valium, and no I haven't had any alcohol in the past 21 hours.

And yes I've gotten the same response from everyone I've asked and it makes sense....."Oh just one more" after that comes "oh just one more"...So I won't be attempting that.

I'm dreading tomorrow but I've got the Valium that should help out with it. Hopefully I won't be too much of a zombie at work!