Thread: Jail Visit
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
frankly
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Jail Visit

You all probably don't know about Jerry's son Mike. I haven't talked about him here. Because I had my tools to work with from the beginning of meeting Jerry, I've had no problem with dealing with his sons situation. Mike is an addict. He has been since he was about 12 years old. In and out of Juvie, now in and out of prision. This time though, he will be in for several years. It is just breaking Jerry's heart. Jerry is so afraid that he want live to see his son free and clean. It's his only wish before he dies. So we packed up and drove 8 hours to visit him.

It was a good visit. Mike was clear headed. A very intelligent young man. Everything in the world going for him, yet there he sat, in prision. 28 years old. What a waste. My concern wasn't for Mike, it was for his father. Jerry carried the weight of greif for his son on his shoulders. Mike made his choices, he is suffering the consequences of his actions, but Jerry is the one paying the price.

Jerry has cried off and on now for two days. He's like a trapped animal. He knows and understands that concept of letting go, but he just can't seem to do it right now. Normally he does fine with all of it, but right now he is facing his own mortality and he's afraid.

The heartache that a parent endures is incomprehensible to me. The punishment that the prison represents has Jerry inprisioned not Mike. Mike will get out one day and choose to use again or not, I just hope and pray, that Jerry gets his wish, to see his son on the outside.....free and clean.

B