View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
shutterbug
A picture's worth a 1000 words

BrightHope, hello an welcome to the forum. My first thoughts are that she is bipolar I, but i'm not positive and would need to know more for that. However, the delusions, rage, paranoia, heavy drinking...and even the denial are all very common in a person who is manic. If she continues to get worse her delusions could get worse to the point where she could become completely psychotic. I know a guy i went to high school with who's dad is a long-time preacher and this friend got so manic that he truely believed and acted like he was satan and then a few minutes later he'd think he was a famous cowboy with guns strapped around his waist. And then a few minutes later he'd just be back to basically himself only still manic (talking very fast and quickly changing from one thought to another...often not making much sense).

My suggestion would be to try to get her to see a psychiatrist who could diagnose her and start her on meds. Although it seems she will be resistant to all that, BUT eventually she will come down from the mania and at that point she will most likely go into a depression and then will want help. Then...if she's already been diagnosed by a pdoc then perhaps she will be more willing to take responsibility for the illness and start on meds....possibly.

With her being 20, there's not a whole lot you can force her to do tho. Unless of course she is attacking you again....at that point you can and should call the police. I can't even imagine how hard that would be for a mother to do, but it might end up being the best thing you could do to help her. I don't know what state you live in, or what country, but some states allow for two people to EOD a person if they are a danger to themselves or others. (EOD means = Emergency Order of Detention).

Other than trying to see if she will go to a psychiatrist visit with you....i'd suggest calling your local NAMI office (which can be found by going to www.nami.org and looking at the contacts for your state) and asking them if they know anything more you can do. You know she is sick and you know she is unable to properly think or care for herself right now....so maybe they will have some suggestions.

Lastly....i know you love and care for her, but don't put yourself in a situation where she can hurt you. if you meet with her....take someone with you AND/or only meet her in public places with lots of other people. If you get hurt then who will help watch over her?

Oh.....and please try not to take her current actions personally. Her calling the cops on you, accusing you of things like she's doing and the violence toward you are all the result of her illnesses right now. She is sick, very sick. This is NOT her, but unfortunately she can't really see that right now. Try to remember who she is at heart when she's not ill and keep telling yourself that this is the illness, not your daughter.

With proper treatement she can return to the person she was before. And IF she is bipolar I then it is pretty easy to keep the major manic episodes like this at bay with mood stabalizers....if she'll take them and stay on them (often those with bipolar I have a hard time sticking to the mood stabalizers....partially because the manias feel so energizing and fun and exciting and ....well mood stabalizers basically bring them down and then they feel flat and a bit lifeless (in comparison to those extreme highs).

Prayers and best wishes,
jenna