Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
barb dwyer
same planet...different world

Hi again Bella -

You didn't need to admit that ... for some of us to already know it. Maybe that's why we come off 'pushy' we have BEEN where you apparently think you need to get before we quit.

says right in the BB - if you've any doubts that you might be an alcoholic - we suggest you go to the nearest bar and try some controlled drinking.

I didn't have the luxury of any kind of deciding if I was an alcoholic or not by the time I came around. I was lucky to be alive and I knew it. I still do.
So I don't have any cutsie answers for that one.
But I'm hoping I'll still be granted the breath and health to still be around here when you come up with your answer and your decision.

One little hint though - we don't wind up in therapy, or the rooms of AA or in jail or worse ... because alcohol had any answers or helped us ... what so ever. We don't wind up where we do because alcohol WASN'T the problem.

oh -
and the answer ultimately .. is no.
Wanting to stay sober to save face or keep a secret ... to impress or hang on to someone or some job .... in the long run ... is not going to be enough. It *is* enough to get started on the path of self discovery ... but that's another one of those questions we alcoholics can answer from the inside ... without pointing at any book =- We can answer that one ... because wehave already learned it for ourselves.