View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jerseyjane

Rules at home with extended family

Hello I am new to posting and am married to an alcoholic who has agreed to not drink at home in front of me or our two small children. He travels for a living and we are both in therapy currently. He hasn't admitted yet that he has a problem but has for two weeks not drank at home or brought alcohol into our home as he gets "angry" and it is not comfortable to be around him.

My question is to you all.....is it fine that I request that family members not bring alcohol to our house? My Dad is coming in two weeks for a two night visit with my Mom and my Mom is fine with this new rule however my Dad feels it isn't his problem and would like to have a few beers each evening he is here. He says frankly he won't be comfortable in my home and why should he have to suffer. I can hear anxiety in his voice and he has always been a drinker too.

Is it too much that I ask this of my Dad? Two nights....no alcohol? Certainly he can entertain the Marriott down the street if neccessary.

Thanks in advance-I am new to posting and new to addressing this issue with my husband. He hasn't announced to his counselor yet that he has a problem...but is seeking tx on the premise of his anger outburts. I am hopeful that the therapist will pick up on the signs. Not sure.

Christine