Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

My heart goes out to you, too. I know exactly what you're going through. My boyfriend chose to drink himself to death, too. I tried everything I could think of to help him, but all my efforts failed. I too, think I rescued him from certain death on many occassions, but instead of being grateful for my help he was resentful and angry over my interference.

Eventually, I decided that I just couldn't sit back and watch him drink himself to death. I didn't have the strength to see it through to the end. And the thought of my daughter coming home from school and finding him dead was something that I couldn't fathom--or allow. So, two years ago I asked him to move out.

He set himself up in a small apartment and began to drink the day he moved in (he had been sober for 8 months up until then). Over the next two years he was hospitalized (and detoxed) repeatedly with more close brushes with death. He ended up on a respirator and the hospital called for next of kin. He somehow survived that episode, but that was quickly followed my more near misses.

Four months ago, I got the phone I'd been dreading for years. He was found dead, alone in his apartment with a 1/2 gallon of gin at his side. The coroner said that he was likely dead for two weeks before anyone noticed that he was gone.

I share my story with you not to scare you, but to let you know that you do have a choice. I could have sat by and watched my boyfriend slowly kill himself, but that was killing me in the process. Instead, I chose life for myself. It's a heart-wrenching decision to make, and nobody should ever have to make it, but I'm certain I made the right choice for my daughter and for myself.