Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
GiveLove

SoTired,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. An AlAnon meeting would be a wonderful idea -- so much help and support there, and sometimes creative ideas too. And Legal Aid is a great idea as well, or an attorney.

My concern is for YOU, and the trauma you are suffering. You do not have to watch him do this. You do not have to enable this (I take it you are paying the bills, keeping food in the house, feeding him, making sure he's safe?).....if you keep making sure he has a soft nest to drink himself to death in, what reason would he have for getting better?

And you have the choice of not watching any more...This is a choice only you can make, but don't forget that the choice is YOURS, and if you choose to swim to shore rather than hang onto his sinking ship, no one can fault you for that. If someone you loved deeply came to you, telling your a story like the one you've told us, asking you how she can survive this, what would you advise her to do?

He will not get help until he's ready, and nothing, nothing, nothing you do can make him be ready faster. The choice you have is whether you want a front-row seat to his slow-motion suicide or not.

Wishing you hope and strength to get through this. You cannot control him, but you can control you.

Hugs,
GL