Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
So Tired

He's dying before my eyes and I've given up

My husband is a binge drinker, and the binges are getting frighteningly more frequent and last longer. The current one has lasted for a month, whereas he babbles incoherently and won't get out of bed. Sometimes he growls like an animal. Occasionally he seems to come out of it and seems to know what's going on but then goes back to bed with his bottle. Two weeks ago he went through detox then came home and started drinking again. He hasn't showered or bathed in well over a week, and the stench in the house is almost unbearable. He eats maybe once a day and sleeps 20 out of 24 hours. He's literally disintegrating and dying before my very eyes. I have tried to convince him to go into detox again, but he refuses. He refuses to go to his doctor or his psychiatrist (the latter being absolutely useless with any constructive advice on what to do). I have called 911, the police come and talk with him and then leave. They cannot commit him by taking him from his own home.

So, I feel all I have to do is sit back and watch him die, which he says is what he wants to do. He's not physically abusive but gets defensive and nasty if I try to get him to go to a facility where he can get help for a month or so. I've hit a brick wall. He's literally sucked me dry emotionally. I have therefore gone into either indifference or shock and now am just sitting back waiting to see what happens next. I want to institutionalize this man. even if it against his will, but cannot legally do so. Has anyone else endured the fact that their hands are tied as mine are? I feel trapped by a suicidal alcoholic. I live in northern California and am not sure what the laws are about voluntary suicide.