View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pipes Mcgee

Originally Posted by wiscgirl30 View Post
I know, I completely agree. Thank God. I promised myself I would NEVER do that again... ugh.
I have been sober for 3 1/2 years. In that time, I met a guy that managed to get a good amount of sober time. He never got rid of his drinking friends. When asked about it, he said, "These are my friends, Im not going to abandon them just because I cant drink anymore". And he didnt. It seemed to be working just fine for him. So fine, in fact, that he used to bring up the fact that he was proof you dont need to get rid of drinking buddies and friends. It lasted for a while, too. Last Saturday, a mutual AA friend told me that he was out with those "friends" and picked up a second drunk driving, got his car impounded and says it isnt worth getting it out because the impound fee is more than the car is worth. I am not invincible. He was not invincible, and YOU are not invincible. This isnt his story. Its OUR story. Everybodies. This wont "maybe" happen to you. IT WILL happen. Most alcoholics drink almost everyday for the most part. Since we must get from place to place everyday, we also drive drunk everyday. The odds are so against someone going the rest of their lives ( or drinking lives ) without getting pulled over or in an accident that it is astronomical. You WILL get pulled over. You WILL get a DUI. You WILL kill someone or yourself. ONE of these things WILL happen to you. Or ALL of them. Thats how serious this is. Relapsing is forgivable, but, blaming drinking and driving on the disease just makes me angry.