View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sheshe555

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I'm sorry you feel that sharing the story of what happened in my life is a scare tactic. I know how you feel. Your relationship is different. The love you have for each other is different. Just because it gets progressively worse for others doesn't mean it will for you (or him). I know exactly how you feel because I once felt the same way.

The best thing you can do is learn. Learn about addiction, learn about enabling and codependence. Most of all learn about yourself and what drives you. I didn't just randomly happen to fall madly in love with an alcoholic. In a way it was destined, like pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly together.

I'm just starting to learn about myself and what I want my life to look like. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

L
replies coming so fast I can't keep up. LaTeeDa - please forgive me I didn't mean to be offensive, and I certainly did not mean to undermine the story of what you went through. It's not that I think our love or relationship is different.. I just think people are different in general. I am realistic enough to realize that I could very well be fooling myself but it would kill me to not try... and I would hope that my head will continue to be strong in that I will get away before it gets too deep. But like you've said - you thought the same way once...

I am trying to learn about addiction - and I will explore enabling and codependence. And I have been considering Alanon. But why can't I shake the fact that people are different - both mentally, genetically, etc? For all the people who didn't change or get better aren't there people who did?