Thread: New Era
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
greeteachday
Administrator

Pulling the plug on college and "reasonable" (ie. not drugs costs) expenses feels to me like trying to impose my demands on someone else. Does that make sense? Does that sound reasonable? Or does it sound codependent and like rationalizations. Thanks.
HI - Welcome...I'm another mom whose 19 year old daughter was also an honor student, athlete, artist, show jumper, worked to cover her incidental expenses, on a scholarship etc. I was aware she smoked pot, but pretty oblivious beyond that. Things came tumbling down very, very quickly when what I found out later was occassional coke use then turned into someone suggesting if you like snorting, try snorting heroin.

I know now that I fell far too often for the stories similar to those you relayed - loosing her wallet, unexpected expenses for the animals, etc. I also know I did the best I could with what I knew. And as I read more about addiction, went to Naranon meetings and came here, I learned to say no. I helped with tuition when she went back to college after a semester off - I thought college was a good place to immerse herself and keep her away from using "friends." I don't regret that. I would not, however give her extra "luxury" money and I learned lots of ways to say no when my gut told me I was being manipulated.

I understand your desire to pay for his schooling...I think your conversation with your son was great...he has a problem with spending, whether due to drugs or being irresponsible with money, and he has to figure out a solution to how he can make it through the school year on a budget for necessities and occassional treats. Going through that much money in a matter of days isn't just occassional rewards; I don't think you should feel at all concerned about establishing some boundaries. Good for you to tell him he needs to come up with a plan. It took me quite awhile to realize I denied my kids the chance to grow from both their successes and failures when I did for them and cushioned their lives...Addiction or no addiction.

Keep reading and sharing- glad you've joined us. If you can make it to a few Naranon or Alanon meetings, I'm sure you will find them beneficial.