View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kelsh

Exclamation We couldn't help our son...

Hi Louise,

Our son came home after four years in the Navy and took over his room and started behaving like he did when he was a teen...slept all day & played all night. His Dad had had it after six months and told him he had to find his own place and get a job. He found a place and got a job the same day.

His life progressed with alcohol and some drugs two marriages, one divorce, & two kids later he drove way up in the hills.....got drunk...& drove his truck over a one hundred & fifty foot cliff and now is a quadraplegic.

I don't mean to scare anyone but this is what happened and some of his behavior relates to being in service during Desert Storm. He spends about half a year in the VA Hospital and half a year in his own home with caregivers coming in. He is 38 now.

We tried to help him as much as he would let us, knowing he was suicidal. I know I had to want to get sober for myself not anyone else and the more someone tried to help me or give me advice, the more I would drink.

I hope your son will go to treatment and get some help. You never know what or when it will click for him.