Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
prodigal

OT - Two surgeries in one week - I'm pooped!

But although I'm a gall bladder short and have something called a "stint" for the next eight weeks bobbing around in one of my liver's bile ducts (yuck!) I'm driving my car and doing a little better each day. Four days out of the hospital (or should I say, in-and-out times two ...), I look pretty good when I'm cleaned up. LOL!!!

AH was generally absent during my two E.R. and inpatient stays, but he managed to stagger by for visits in various stages of sobriety to toss "stuff" at me - magazines, a necklace, a Beanie-Baby crab, a card. He's just doing what addicts do; when the rubber meets the road, like being with me in the E.R. or giving me anything resembling normal human support he's nowhere to be found. Ah well, I've learned to take care of myself, even when screaming and moaning for a morphine drip!

I've given myself permission to take a sabbatical from school, leaving me two classes short of my bachelor's degree. But now is the time to rest, working at restoring my health, cleaning out my doggone files!!!, and regrouping. I'm still plugging away at the job search and have turned to the federal government's online resume/job posting site.

To all of those here who are struggling with the A's in their lives, I can attest that you CAN detach with time, patience, and hard work. As far as living with an A for years on end ... I can only speak from my own personal experience. My health has suffered from the mere exposure to the progression of the disease. I can let a lot roll off my back, but I reached the point where I am sick and tired of looking at a one-man emotional/physical trainwreck happening in all-too-slow motion right in front of my eyes.

This, too, shall pass ...

P.S. - My stomach staples come out on Thursday, and the stint-thingy will be removed in early November. Okay, now that you are all gagging on that bit of information .... hang in there!!!