Thread: Here goes ..
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
John1969
Sober

Hello Octo!!

I'm new to this board but not new to recovery. I read your entire thread as a start to "Get Acquainted" to this site and can really relate to your battles through your first 50 days. Congratulations on that, by the way. It is no small task and an accomplishment to cherish.

When I first stopped drinking, I was much like you in that I was sure I could do it through education, understanding, support of family and a heavy dose of willpower. I had to attend two work related events in my first 30 days where the drinks flowed heavily, and on the company's tab. They were both tough, but at the moment, my resolve was tougher and I made it through. Something I am very proud of and extremely grateful for. I also once attended a concert and ordered a Diet Coke, which must have registered differently in the ears of the bartender because I got a coke but it wasn't of the diet variety, and when I took a swig, something in me registered this as "Not Right" and I spit it back in my cup and quickly and VERY firmly requested an exchange for DIET Coke. There are only two other times in my life in which I remember being that scared, one was having a gun pointed at me by a lunatic who thought I was someone else, and the other, my first encounter with a rattlesnake without the luxury of being at a zoo. I know all too well what precarious sobriety feels like.

I am glad you have made it through your tougher times, sobriety in hand, and stronger for the experience. I believe your friend is a true one and should be hung on to.

For me, the "Paper Thin" barrier between me and the first drink wasn't enough, and after 8 months of "White Knuckling" it, I decided I needed a more thorough solution. That's when I embraced AA as that solution. It has worked for me, the mental obsession is gone, and I don't have that fear of failing. I'm not saying that I have nothing to worry about, but like I said, it's a lot easier without the obsession.

You're doing a great job!!! Keep up the good work...and I'll be following your success!!