View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Selah

I have trouble with this as well, but I do take note that I don't tend to have compulsive behaviors so I can respect an addicts choice to believe it's an addiction. When you stated above that " the dopamine receptors have a demand to be fed anything it remembers as pleasure." How come they don't remember the pain? the struggle? Or how come they remember anything at all, afterall most do describe addicts as "numb" or "incapable of feeling for others." The other receptors don't work?
I don't know, I just feel like anything can be conquered by the way you change your thinking...anything. I believe it's tough,VERY tough, I hate running, I hate fish, I hate confrontation, but you better believe if I was sick and hurting people to the point of suicide everyday I'd at least try, I'd at least go to a meeting to learn how to stop, I'd at the very least read a book or talk about it.
I don't understand how it's a disease, I do believe it's self-inflicted.
I think it's a contradictory message to tell addicts "they have a disease that they are powerless" and then turn around and tell them to control their actions etc...????
powerless vs. taking control?
I also believe that most of the time peoples actions -addict or not - are much deeper than their genetic/scientific makeup.
There's always the other side the whole dysfunctional family story as well -- and this I have first hand experience on. I never want to be like my father so I am very careful of my social drinking, my brother & sister however aren't.