Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

With my boyfriend, I found that it didn't work any better to try and state my feelings in a less confrontational way. He didn't think his drinking was a problem and I did. It didn't matter if I yelled, screamed, ranted, and raved at him, or I shared my feelings in a calm and collected manner. He was not willing to listen to or act on what I was saying.

Eventually, I realized that the only way to eliminate my alcoholic partner's unacceptable behaviors from my life was to end the relationship. That way, I got to live the life I wanted to live and he got to do the same. My life improved immensely. He drank himself to death four months ago. Everyone has choices; we just chose different paths.

When people aren't willing to change, no amount of discussion will change anything. If there were a magical communication style that would break through an alcoholic's denial, then I'm sure it would have been discovered centuries ago.

This is the point where you have to decide how you're willing to live: with a binge drinker or without one. If you choose to try again with your husband, go in with your eyes open, and realize that very few alcoholics are able to reach and maintain long-term sobriety. When I researched the disease and understood these odds, I realized I was trying to win in a no-win situation. That's when I decided to bail.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.