Thread: Am I Wrong?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
foregoodreasons
I can only change myself.

Stop enabling

Originally Posted by TheMissus View Post
He likes my brother, they get on well, he just doesn't want him seeing him drinking all day, he says it's embarrassing.
Yes, and he's asking you to continue to enable him to not only drink but drink in comfort. Don't you think he needs to start suffering the consequences of his drinking? He needs to see that the drinking is the problem here not your brother? And if so then shouldn't he learn to either accept he is a drunk and let people see him or don't drink while others are around or GET STARTED ON A RECOVERY PLAN.

My oldest son's best friend's father is an A. He's been sober for 20 years. He says he's a bit of an anomoly (sp?) because he is very open and forthcoming about his alcoholism. I grew a great deal of respect for this guy not just because he is a recovering A of 20 years but because he doesn't try to hide it. He accepts what he is and almost announces his circumstances with pride. He seems quite healthy to me. Your BF??? Well ....

"I'm sorry ABF but unless you are making valiant efforts to recover from your A I will continue to make decisions that have the greatest impact of making a difference for someone. In this case I chose not to put my brother out on the street just so I can save you from some embarrassment.".