Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by boogiedan View Post
i decided 2nite fully that im havin a break from AA
mabye it s my downfall(as they say!) or mabye its my beginning who knows
ill tell u who knows GOD ALMIGHTY and no1 else
I hope that what ever method you use to stay sober you are successful. I truly believe that there is more than one way to tame the tiger.

mi sponsor or so-called sponsor talked absolute garbage 2nite
hes a gudman an sober nearly20yrs but hes in bondage to meetings
no disrepect all...but im gunno be dealing with my addictions/alki/dope/ with yeshuaJC and reading bible daily
I am sorry you were unable to find a sponsor that had what you were looking for. I have had 4 different sponsors (one was a temporary sponsor), over the past 7 years. I think I have finally been able to find one with the qualities I am seeking in my life. One that knows how to live life both in and outside the doors of A.A. I believe that the people who live in meetings are there for a reason but in my life right now it is just as important for me to be able to live in the world outside the doors of A.A.

another thing that has made me decide is they say
PERSONAL recovery depends on AA UNITY
and as im a christian(not worldly christian do)(no denomination etc etc)
well my faith is my recovery depends on my daily FULL surrender 2 god
and nothing else
my will -gods will
me drinkin or not dunt depend on other peeps(or im deluded as some in AA say)
So much of any book is dependent upon personal interpretation of the information. When I read personal recovery depends on A.A. unity what it says to me is that my recovery is more important than my personal feelings about someone elses personality. I am there to stay sober not fight with anyone or worry about their side of the street. Ironically, my issues with organized religion (particularly Christianity) is the many different interpretations of the interpretations of the interpretations of the original Bible. I think a lot has been lost in the translation and too many times it is used to beat someone over the head rather than lift them up. Too many people use it to justify their feeling superior to someone else. But that is just my opinion and reasoning for staying away from organized religion.
I do agree that surrender is very important. In fact it is a part of Step Three "Turning our will and lives over to the care of God as we understand him". Without surrender there would be no sobriety for me.

and last but not leastly...this is gunno **** alot of peeps off but gotta say it
checkout the 12step success rates 5% stay sober
somert like 48% never return afta their first meet
and somert like 70% of peeps leave AA afta being in AA around a yr or so
Ironically I have heard those statistics over and over but have searched for the source in vain. The only place I can find much about them has been on anti A.A. sites. Which leads me to question the validity of the statistics. Who were the people polled? (I know I wasn't one of them). When was the poll done? Since A.A. does not keep formal records on its members (anomynity) then how can anyone determine the rate of success or failure, people only attending one meeting, leaving after a year or so? What are the success rates of other programs? I never hear anything about the success or failure rates on them, only read the statistics against A.A. on their sites? I think that anyone who reads statistics on anything needs to question the validity of the statistics as they are too easily manipulated to portray what the person posting them wants them to portray whether it be positive or negative. I no longer let those statistics bother me. What bothers me is when they are thrown out there to justify someone's reasoning that A.A. does not work since they chose to drop out. I think it is quite misleading and really can harm someone who wants to find a way to get sober. There are enough misgivings and fears when an alcoholic seeks help but unverifiable statistics only make things more difficult. I only hope that anyone wanting to try A.A. will take those statistics with a grain of salt.

anyhows im a little down on AA at min(i mite hav a change of heart who knows only GOD!)
also my father wont like my decision(hes 10yrs sober in AA approx)
however its MY decision
I hope things work out with you and your father and I truely wish you the best. I hope you continue to post here as this is not an A.A. site it is a recovery site and all are welcome here. I hope you take my comments with a grain of salt. They are not intended to be hurtful just provide some insight and questions. Take care.