View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

My husband and I were drinking buddies for 22 years and had the nerve to bring three children into that alcoholic chaos. I also worked, was active in the PTA, Cub Scout den mother, dancing classes for daughter, civic activities, etc. Plus, I kept a reasonably clean house and was a darned good cook (if I do say so myself).

He left me for a younger woman who had no kids or responsibilities and could spend all her time drinking with him. They moved in together...but, the irony is they quit drinking and started going to AA together. It took me two more years of drinking before I hit my own bottom.

And everyone at AA smokes. I quit that crap 3 months ago and it's still tough to watch them all smoke away. Dammit I can't smoke, I can't drink, I can't do drugs, I can't eat, I hate this so much. I have no release now, I have nothing to look forward to at the end of the day.
Sounds like "someone" is having themselves a little Pity Party...not surprising, since (if I remember correctly) you have maybe a week sober.

First of all...there are non-smoker meetings...but, you'll still have to make your way through the crowd of those smoking outside the meeting. It took me six years in AA before I was able to quit smoking, too. I never suggest that anyone try to quit more than one addiction at a time...we're only human.

I can understand you not wanting to "take time away" from your new husband. But, if you're miserable sober, how happy is he going to be and how much will he want to have you around spoiling his drinking. You really should find a few hours a week for AA. I didn't have time to be bored in early sobriety...and the more involved I became in AA, the more sober I became, and the more time I had to do sober things...like going back to school and earning that college degree I always dreamed of...making two trips to Europe (surprising how much money you can save not drinking/drugging).

How sad that you feel you have nothing to look forward to. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your life to this point...set some realistic goals...and, go for the gusto!