View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Like the rest of my life is going to be boring as hell.
That is exactly how I felt when I got out of detox...... "What the hell am I going to do now if I don't drink?"

Well in detox they told me that if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor! The 90 meetings in 90 days sounded over whelming, I am married, have kids, and work full time, I told the guy at detox that I would go to AA but there was no way I could do that many meetings in that amount of time!!! He asked me to simply devote the same amount of time to going to meetings as I did to drinking which I did.

Guess what? I easily did 90 meetings in 90 days, I was not bored, I made a ton of new sober friends, I spent more REAL time with my family then I ever did when I was drinking!

The longer I was sober the more I came to realize that my life did not end when I quit drinking..... it actually had begun. My kids loved me sober and I found being involved in thier lifes was exciting because for several years my life had been revolving around booze.

Now since your husband is still drinking what I am going to say in regards to my wife may not apply here, but suddenly once I became sober my wife was interested in me and what I had to say, we started to do things together again, is everything all peaches and cream between my wife and I now? Heck no, she put up with my drunk butt for years, one year of sobriety is not going to erase the grief and shame I caused her, but things are getting a lot better.

I have friends out side of AA & my family now because I am not to drunk to drive or sitting at home drinking.

Early sobriety sucks in so many ways, one of the reasons it sucked for me was it took me over a month to realize that the fog was still lifting, the fog did not start to lift for me until I had been sober about 3 days and here it is a year later and just like the old timers told me, it is still lifting!!

To compare the fog I was in at one month sober versus 3 months sober is like night & day.

Trust me it does get better, as I have worked the steps and stayed sober I can honestly say today that I never want to be high again, reality is to good and problems are so much easier to deal with sober, of course being sober cuts way down on the problems.